![]() |
| My nephew David with his dad and his sisters |
Sunday, September 16, 2012
Sunday Blessings
It's a quiet Sunday. I have chicken tortilla soup simmering in the crock pot and the Tigers game on the TV. Days like this are my favorite. The Tigers are only one game behind Chicago for the division lead! Here's hoping the Tigers can pull it out in these last weeks of the season!
I enjoyed church this morning and Fr. Jerry's homily. His message wasn't anything that hasn't been preached before but for some reason today it made more of a difference to me than in times past. He said we need to recognize the talents our Lord has given us and to take those talents and use them to minister and be disciples of Christ to others. We can't go to church for an hour each week and then leave it there when we walk out the church doors. We need to take our discipleship and carry it throughout the rest of the week. He encouraged us to become more involved in the several ministries that our parish has. There was a brunch reception after Mass and each ministry had a table with information on the service they provide to our parishioners. I knew before I even walked in the social hall which ministry I was being called to. The years that I spent taking care of my father in-law touched me in a way that I knew I wanted to be a part of the Care and Healing ministry. I want to be there for the sick of our community and to the people who are experiencing a loss in their life. I also signed up for the soup kitchen ministry and the hospitality ministry. I'm excited to become more involved at my church and it is something that I have been wanting to do for a long time. Fr. Jerry's homily today pushed me in that direction.
I am asking that you all please keep my nephew David in your prayers. He is stationed in Afghanistan and his base came under attack this weekend. He is safe and my sister in-law heard from him but the reality is he is in a war-torn country and prayers for his safety are greatly appreciated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Prayers go out for your nephew and the rest of the military who are away from their families. May they return safely. BTW, is that the same base where Prince Harry is?
ReplyDeleteDavid's base it right next to Prince Harry's base. The initial attack was targeted at Prince Harry's base and then it spilled over to where David is stationed. Thanks so much for your prayers.
DeletePrayers offered, Kris, and will continue.
ReplyDeleteGetting involved with the CCW group 15 years ago helped me form some wonderful friendships. Let us know how you are enjoying the work in the ministries you chose!!
Nice to have a quiet Sunday. I hope the Tigers win/won. I know Joe is happy that the Eagles won, even though it wasn't on TV for us to see. He is also hoping the Phillies will get into the playoffs.
Enjoy your yummy dinner!
Thanks, Terri. Tigers loss in the 9th inning:-( It's hard being a sports fan..lol.
DeleteKris I am glad your nephew is ok. My prayers are with him and all who are serving in the military. How scary for all of you though to have to endure not knowing if he was ok or not for all those hours. Your soup sounds yummy for tonight. :) Overall it sounds like a great Sunday for you and your family and to have a reason to rejoice over the new of your nephews safety makes it even more meaningful. How wonderful that you have committed to the different ministries in your church. I have volunteered at a soup kitchen before. It is a humbling experience for sure.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Mandi. It was a really nice Sunday, just wish Monday didn't arrives so darn quick:)
DeleteI guess it was the Sunday to promote ministry in the church...our church had tables set up all around the church and it was interesting to visit each one. There was also a time of fellowship and snacking. The service was packed today with visitors since I believe it was Back to Church Sunday. I am glad that your nephew is ok. I hope they can all come home soon.
ReplyDeleteRuth..it sounded like our churches did the exact same type of missionary fair:-)
DeleteI'm sure the Lord will use you in great ways through your new ministry. Do share with us all the blessings you give and receive. Prayers for your nephew.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Julie..I will keep you updated:)
DeleteGiving to others is truly what Christ did and what He wants us to do. Getting involved is more important than people realize. In most churches, schools, clubs, etc., it is a handful of people who do it all and it is a blessing to join in and help. Will pray for your nephew that God keeps him safe.
ReplyDeletePrayers for your nephew. I have three friends with children there so know how hard it is. I am trying your soup today:) hope you have a good week.
ReplyDelete