Thursday, December 20, 2012
Keeping The Joy!
Yesterday morning while in the middle of a meltdown over my to-do list, I posted that there wasn't enough hours in the day to get everything done that needed to get done. A few minutes later I got a wonderful piece of advice from my friend Terri - "Do what you can, and don't worry about it, Kris. It is what it is. Choose joy!". That one comment put everything into perspective. I calmed myself down and took a good look at my list and decided that there were items that could be taken off. I decided that I will not be sending out Christmas cards this year. As much as I wish I had gotten them made out and sent on their way, it is something that I can take off my list. I have to believe that no one will eliminate me from their life because they didn't get a Christmas card from the Beavers this year!
I will be delivering the last of our special orders that we received from our open house today. It will feel great to have the gift baskets, dry erase frames, and coasters completely finished and delivered! It will be another thing that I can cross off my to-do list!
I'm not finish with my Christmas shopping yet but on a positive note, I do know what I want to buy and I am hoping to finish up tomorrow or Saturday. I will spend the rest of the weekend wrapping gifts and I am determined to have fun while doing this. I am going to plant myself in front of the TV with my rolls of wrapping paper and boxes and I will have a Christmas movie marathon!
It's amazing how much better I feel now that I started looking at my situation in a positive way. We must not let the joy of the holiday season be overshadowed by stressful feelings. My list is still long but I've decided to find the joy in each task that awaits me. Thanks Terri for that great piece of advice!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Isnt that what good friends are for? To listen, calm, and just be there? Good advice Terri gave and I can tell just from what you wrote, it made a difference. I didnt send cards this year either Kris, and as you said, we are still friends! Hugs.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that little post made a difference for you, Kris!! We should always choose joy. I need a reminder myself, now and then, but always try to shake out the worry and look to the brighter side of whatever has me down. And there is always a brighter side. Enjoy your movie marathon!! Hugs & love.
ReplyDeleteMy dear cousin Krissy, I truly hope you take your friends words to heart. It was about 4 Christmases ago that I experienced the effects of high stress in a pretty scary way. You see, I had what is known as a TIA, or in laymen's terms a mini-stroke. I was driving to the mall late in the day on pretty much an empty stomach to get "one" last gift for my son. While entering the mall parking lot I started seeing flashing lights in my vision. The next thing I knew my right arm was flopping off the steering wheel like a fish out of water. I won't give you every detail, but in a nutshell I ended up in the hospital being treated for out of control blood pressure. So cross several things off that list or just realize that you are only one person and whether or not everything on your list gets done or not, life will go on. I started using yoga relaxation exercises and it was amazing how that helped to lower my stress and my blood pressure. Take care cousin. Hugs and happy holidays to you and your family.
ReplyDelete