Sunday, January 6, 2013
Weekend Project
Walt walk woke up in a motivated a mood yesterday. He suggested that we paint our bedroom walls. We have been wanting to redo our bedroom for a long time but for one reason or another we never get to it. I had to take advantage of him wanting to do this! Before we started painting I went through our closets and bagged up some clothes that we no longer wear and I also ended up with a garbage bag full of "stuff" that can go in the garbage. We had a shoe box of old gas receipts from when Walt was a carpet installer and he needed them for his expense write offs. They were dated back to 1990 when gas was only .93 gallon! I also found some items that were very special to me. Lindsay used to have a small pillow that her great grandma gave her when she was just a baby. She carried and slept with that pillow until she was probably 8 or 9 years old, maybe even older. I remember putting it away because the fabric was falling apart. You should have seen her face when I brought it downstairs to her! She will be turning 21 in just a week and I swear she probably slept with it last night..LOL. I also found Matthews baby shoes. I can't believe his feet were ever that small! There was also a Girl Scout patch that Lauren had earned that was tucked in with school craft projects that I had saved. I remember working on projects with Lauren so she could earn those patches. Ahhh..such great memories. It made the task of cleaning out the closet fun.
We got a little bold with our paint color. I actually wanted to go with one shade lighter but Walt kept saying he thought it would be cool to do something dramatic. He said we could always repaint in 6 months or a year if we don't like it. I guess it's like when you cut your hair short, it will grow back..LOL. I agreed with him and we picked out a color that will go nice with our new comforter set that we received my sister and brother in-law for Christmas this year. The best way to describe it would be to say it is like a dark plum or Egg plant color but without the reddish tones. We painted one wall yesterday. The picture below is of the closet area and the door to our bathroom. You can't get a real idea of the color from this photo but it does show that we went bold! The picture makes it look like we painted the walls black. We are hoping to finish up today. I'll post more pictures as it all comes together! Have a wonderful Sunday!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Reading this reminded me of the package that my sister Diana made up for each of her brothers and sisters of things that our mother had saved. One of mine was a letter I'd written to Santa asking for a hula hoop. Our sister Jackie was born with a tooth and that was in her package. I'm not sure what the others got (there are 8 of us), but I thank my sister for taking time to sift through so much stuff. Your family must have renewed lots of happy memories.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to seeing your finished room.
What an awesome gift your sister gave all of you! I didn't know that you have 7 siblings! Was it fun growing up in a big family?
DeleteYour walls and woodworks look fresh and clean; although, I would not use gray in my bedroom. I like shades of blue and green for a cool, relaxing mood in my bedroom. Actually, we used a shade of blue/green on our walls with a white ceiling, and it makes me feel good everyday.
ReplyDeleteIt really looks good. Have a great day in the Lord!
Diana
How nice! Blue and green sounds very soothing and calming:-)
DeleteI think it is a great color, Kris. Joe and I went "bold" a few years ago, and it made such a difference. Last year (you will remember) we painted our bedroom and went with a more neutral, wheat color. It is amazing what a difference a little paint can make! Can't wait to see your finished room!
ReplyDeleteMy sister ended up with most of my mom's stuff, since she was living with mom when she died. She just got a storage unit cleaned out and brought back to Georgia a few months ago. In our box of gifts, was an envelope full of things my mom had saved, from me. Cards and notes and hand-made cards from when I was little. It was so great going through them. I have to admit that I tossed more than half, but did keep a few things that I want to scan in, before throwing them away. It is nice to know what she kept and what she felt was important....LOVE!
Enjoy your "new" room and I wish you a good Sunday and week ahead!
I bet there was so many wonderful memories in that envelope! I know I have kept so much of what the kids have done. I should put together boxes for them to have:-)
DeleteI think it looks lovely. The contrast with the white doors really makes it pop! I hope to go bold with some of the colors in my house when we move. I really want everything in country cottage style also. Kinda like some of the dollhouses I've been drooling over at some blog sites I stumbled onto. Have you had a chance to check out the one I recommended? Have a blessed rest of your day. Hugs Deb.
ReplyDeleteAre you and Mark house shopping? That would be so fun. I couldn't link up to that blog, I kept getting an error. Can you send me the link? Thanks!
DeleteNo I can see that it is a deep plum kind of colour. It looks really great, very smart. Our bedroom is our first priority indoors this year and we have been wondering about colours so I think this could be on my list. Thanks for inspiration.
ReplyDeleteJilly..I'm happy you can see the plum color..it really looks nice. I need to get some wall decor, the walls are so bare.
DeleteThe color looks great, it might just grow on you.
ReplyDeleteI have several large file boxes downstairs of things I saved from the kid's childhood. One of my projects for this year is to sort through it all and prepare to scrapbook what remains.
Happy New Year, Kris!
Somehow I missed this post and was looking back over all of them today and found your Sunday blog. I love the color you chose. It is fun to get out of the norm now and then. Also, love the memories you found....sweet times. Now the holidays are behind us, we can get back to normal....whatever that is! lol Have a good week.
ReplyDelete