Monday, April 8, 2013

Our Weekend In Northern Michigan

I think northern Michigan has to be one of the most beautiful areas of our country.  I feel so lucky to live only a few hours away from where I can escape to a place where I can see an abundance of wild life, beautiful lakes and their peaceful shores, historical architecture, and small American towns where everyone knows each other and smiles and hellos are given out so freely.  

We had such a wonderful time this weekend at our friends, Jim and Karen's, cottage.  Their cottage is located about 50 miles from the upper peninsula.  We left Friday morning and decided to drive up along Lake Huron.  This route is much longer but it was a beautiful day and it allowed us to drive through little beach towns that we would otherwise not have seen.  I couldn't get over the color of Lake Huron.  At times it was a beautiful dark blue color but as we drove along it would turn to a turquoise color.    

On Saturday we enjoyed the afternoon in Mackinaw City.  We had a wonderful lunch at the Keyhole Bar and grill and did some shopping at the unique shops that line the harbor area of the city.  Saturday night we went out for pizza and enjoyed dancing to the music played by the classic rock cover band, The Whitmore 4.  The band is made up of a husband and wife and their two sons.  It was such a fun night out. 

We probably won't get back up north until early May because of Walt's work schedule.  Here are some pictures from this weekend.

This was Friday morning when we were getting ready to leave.  It was the Tigers home opener.  I had to show my support for my favorite team even though we didn't go to the game.  We did listen to them on the radio and were so happy that they beat the Yankees!!

Lake Huron

I love old school houses!  This one was located at the 40 mile Point Lighthouse in Rogers City.

Lake Huron is trying to let go of winter but the snow and ice have other ideas..LOL

40 Mile Point Lighthouse in Rogers City




Lake Huron


12 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures Kris, and so glad you got to get away for the weekend. In our busy lives, I think it is important to slow down and breathe now and then. Have a good week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda...life can get so busy and it's awesome when you can embrace those times when you can leave the craziness behind for a couple of days:-)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for stopping by my page this morning and for your kind and encouraging comments. Your photos are lovely. What's that green stuff on the ground though?? I'm so glad you had an enjoyable weekend away.

    Pretty page...I love old books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie - You are welcome..I was so happy when I read that your prayers were answered! I love old books too..well anything old actually..lol.

      Delete
  3. Those are really beautiful photos, and you'll surely count the days until you can return. It is finally getting warmer here,, but we still have snow in the mountains too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda..doesn't it feel great to finally see the start of spring? I think my area of Michigan has finally made the turn..yay!

      Delete
  4. I love the photos you shared here, Kris! So beautiful, even with the snow and ice!! Brrrr! Glad you and Walt could get away for a fun weekend with your dear friends. You look fabulous, by the way! Wishing you a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures. Looks like it was pretty cold though. We have the Olympic Mountains to the West that are always snow covered, no snow where we are thankfully. Just a very light snowfall last month that didn't stick. Tomorrow is supposed to be almost 60 and no rain so off to Trader Joe's for some groceries. Did you stay in that adorable yellow cottage? I am infatuated with cute cottages, especially ones with porches! Glad you had such a nice time. Hugs((((.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cuz!! Yes, we stayed at the yellow cottage with the cute porch:-) It was such a nice weekend. I am going shopping at Trader Joe's today or tomorrow. I have been in there only once (with Terry) so I am really looking forward to spending some time walking around and checking out the store. I am eating more of plant based diet these days and I know Trader Joe's has some great products to enhance my diet with. Lauren had me watch the movie, Fork Over Knives...it really has changed the way I look at food! Did my mom get in touch with you yesterday? Hugs!

      Delete
  6. It is truly a beautiful place. I am glad to have had my childhood there and always look forward to when I can get up that way. Beautiful photos! So glad you could enjoy some time relaxing and seeing the beauty around you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl..living out your childhood in the U.P. had to have been amazing!

      Delete