Today is Ash Wednesday and for Christians it marks the beginning of the Season of Lent. I don't always give something up for Lent. There were times when I gave something up that I enjoyed eating or drinking but I found that the times that I added something to my life actually brought me closer to God. For example, adding more prayer time to my day, going out of my way to do something nice for a stranger, stopping the amount of times that I complain, or donating my time to a charity..etc. As I write this it makes me wonder why I don't do this through out the year? I do pray every day and I think I am a good person but why does it take the season of Lent for me to increase the amount of time I spend doing these types of things? I guess it comes down to the fact that we are human and we don't always live the way we should. We are sinners. Lent forces us to take the time to reflect what we need to change about ourselves or what we need to add in our lives that will move us closer to our Lord. Let the journey to Christ's Resurrection begin!
What a nice surprise it was to find out that the snow that we were suppose to get this morning moved south of our area. We have sunny skies and temperatures that are on the rise! Enjoy your day and thanks for stopping by!

I agree with you, Kris! I always wonder why it takes Lent to make me stop and think about what I am NOT doing....that old "what I have failed to do" thing is my biggest challenge. Glad you didn't get more snow, and hope it all starts melting for you soon!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Terri..I can't wait for the snow to melt. Baseball starts this month!!
DeleteI don't give anything up for Lent anymore either, but I love your idea of adding something. I saw a report recently of a local TV station going into a coffee shop & undercover paying for customers beverages. It was a pay it forward experiment or something. I've always wanted to do that. Maybe now that it's the Lenten season that will give me the impetus to do it. I always try to be a good person & at work I love to give genuine compliments to people. It makes them smile & feel good, which in turn makes me feel good. Imagine if everyone just did one kind act a day, that would be amazing, right? Glad you guys are getting some sun. Enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteDeb..I love the idea behind pay it forward..I am going to try do this more often!
DeleteI absolutely give up Facebook for Lent. I love doing it and at Easter I always wonder why I go back.
ReplyDeleteI thought about giving up FB but it occurred to me that I didn't replace it with--prayer, more Bible reading, or something else that is worthy.
Thank you for the reminder and the post!
Chris, Facebook is an awesome thing to give up for Lent!
DeleteAn excellent post, Kris. I like to think that I'm a good person too, but sometimes find that I'm a bit selfish with my time especially.
ReplyDeleteGlad the snow missed you. We are finally going to have some spring temperatures beginning today.
Enjoy that spring weather Brenda! We are going to be in the 40's tomorrow! That is like a heatwave for us..haha
DeleteGreat post Kris! We don't usually give up anything for Lent, since we are not Catholic, it isn't a tradition we've ever really followed. I do like the idea of adding something though more to our every day life though. Making us more mindful of our actions and bringing something more positive to our everyday lives.
ReplyDeleteThe snow we were supposed to get yesterday missed us too. It stayed to the North of us, which was just fine by me. The snow storm we were supposed to get this past weekend stayed south of us for the most part and we didn't get much at all. So glad for that. We are definitely ready for Spring around here. Ava found out who her softball coach is this past weekend and we are ready to get our season underway as soon as these temperatures start to rise! We are ready to say bye-bye to winter that's for sure!
Mandi - it sounds like the snow was right in between us! Wow..I can't believe it is time for Ava to start back up with softball! I can't wait for you to post some pictures!
Delete