We had such a fun time this weekend! I was so excited that Lauren decided to join us. She kept debating with herself if she should go or not. Her husband, Corey, ended up having to work long hours every day this weekend so it made her decisions to go with us a little easier. We enjoyed all the joys of camping: grilling out, bonfires, long walks, naps, reading, boat rides...etc. To top it off the weather was incredible! I don't recall nicer weather than what we had this holiday weekend. The days were warm and sunny with no humidity and the evenings were cool enough for wearing sweatshirts and jeans around the campfire.
One of my favorite things we did was explore our friend Joe's property that he had purchased a few years ago at an auction. It is located not too far from the campground. His property has an old abandon house on it. The last family that lived in this house (years and year ago) just up and left all of their belongings in the house. I love vintage style Mason jars and Joe found a whole box of them in the attic. He gave them to me and I was so excited to see that there were some greenish blue ones in the group of jars! He also offered me two old tables and an old vintage door. We were unable to take them home with us because we drove our van this weekend and not our pickup truck. He is going to hold onto them for us until our next camping trip.
During our hike around his property he showed us another house that was adjacent to his property that was once a safe house for the underground railroad. You can tell that back in the day it was a beautiful house. It had long white pillars that framed the front porch. It was sad to see a house that was so rich with history, abandon and neglected for so many years.
Monday mornings are a real downer, especially coming off a fun weekend like we had. I have to get myself in positive mood so I can get through this work week..lol.
![]() |
| They need to be restored to their original beauty but I think they are well worth the effort! |
![]() |
| Phone bench. This one is my favorite out of the two pieces. |
![]() |
| Once a safe house for slaves that were using the underground railroad. |
![]() |
| Exploring! |
....












That sunset picture is stunning! I love old mason jars too. The real old ones are pricey & hard to find. I love all the things you can do with them. Glad to hear you had a good time. Is your mom back from her trip yet?
ReplyDeleteDeb...mom comes home on Saturday. She is having such a great visit with everyone in Illinois. They leave tomorrow for Nashville.
DeleteIt does look like the perfect place to spend some time at, and you'll have fun restoring the furniture. My grandmother used to live in a house that must have kept slaves in the basement. At least that's what we were told. Of course, I imagined the basement to be haunted.
ReplyDeleteI cant think of one single thing that could possibly make it any better than it was. The pictures are beautiful and it looks like a peaceful place to relax for a weekend. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Have a good day and week ahead Kris.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful weekend you had! I would have enjoyed exploring the abandoned property with you, and the two pieces of furniture you were gifted are wonderful. I look forward to seeing them when you finish restoring them. The photos are great, Kris, and capture the perfect weekend quite well.
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful place to camp...brings back memories of when I use to do that. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHi Kris! I'm here just trying to catch up with everyone. I'm reading back quite a ways, but won't take the time to comment much. Looks like you had a great 4th - I LOVE your photos!
ReplyDeleteHi Julie! Nice to see you back on Blogger!
Delete