Monday, September 17, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup


The chicken tortilla soup I made yesterday turned out really good.  I also made tacos to go with it.  I actually doubled this recipe and I added garlic, onion and chili powder.  I had seen these ingredients in almost all the other chicken tortilla soup recipes that I had pulled up so I wasn't sure why this recipe (from the Campbell's website) didn't include them.  I'm glad I added them because I think they gave it just the right amount of zip.  

 I love soups and chili during the fall and winter months.  What is your favorite soup?  


Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 cup Picante Sauce
2 cans (10 3/4 ounces eachCampbell's® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
1 can (about 15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 soup can water
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
corn tortillas (6-inch), cut into strips
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
  • Stir the picante sauce, soup, chicken, corn, beans, onion, garlic, chili powder, water and cumin in a 4-quart slow cooker.
  • Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours or until the chicken is cooked through.
  • Stir the tortillas, cheese and cilantro into the cooker. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Serve with additional cheese, if desired.

9 comments:

  1. Good morning Kris.....I love soups and stews, especially in the fall and winter and this one sounds like a winner. Am going to copy and give it a try. Hope the week ahead is a good one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gm :) yummy. I'll have to try this as I enjoy using the crock pot for work. It looks delicious :) my favorite is chili

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound good! Our favorite is just pain old chicken noodle, with whatever else I decide to throw in. I make soup a lot in the cooler months. Wishing you a good week, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like all kinds of soup, especially in the winter. How spicy is the picante sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the "medium" spiced one. If it was up to me I would have gotten the hot one..LOL. My family wouldn't have liked me very much though so I just added crushed red pepper to my bowl. They do sell it mild also.

      Delete
  5. This sounds delicious. I'll have to give this recipe a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Krissy, in keeping w' the Mexican themed soup I would have to say my favorite one is Albondigas, aka meatball soup. I used to have it every time we went to "Mariana's Cantina" in the Eldorado Casino in Henderson, Nevada. I had always wanted to try a homemade version that was just as good. I found a recipe a few years back on a mint plant in Trader Joe's that fit the bill.
    You will need:
    one pouch of Trader Joe's brown rice~ two onions- diced~ ½ lb. ground beef-½ lb. ground pork (I used a 20 oz. pkg. of ground turkey) one egg~ 1 tsp. ground cumin~ 1 tbsp. dried oregano leaves~ 1 tbsp. dried thyme leaves~ three garlic cloves, minced~ one zucchini, diced~ two carrots, diced~ two cans diced tomatoes~ 6 cups chicken stock (use veggie stock for vegetarian version)~ salt & pepper to taste.

    Cook Trader Joe's rice as directed. Sauté the onion for five minutes. In a mixing bowl combine meat, ½ the onion, egg, ½ the rice, cumin, dried oregano, dried thyme & salt and pepper to taste. Mix well & form into 1" balls. In large saucepan, sauté the garlic, zucchini & carrots. Add the remaining onions and tomatoes & cook for five minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Carefully drop in the meatballs. Reduce soup to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes. Serve it topped with fresh oregano or cilantro. The recipe says it may be served with fresh mint, I prefer cilantro.

    Note: I prefer to lightly brown my meatballs before adding them to the broth.
    I hope you give this recipe a try, it's really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to tell you to add the rest of the rice w' the onions & tomatoes. Darn!

    ReplyDelete