Friday, January 11, 2013

Buddy


The last few days have been so hard to deal with.  Our dog, Buddy, had to be put to sleep yesterday.  We knew he was showing signs of getting old.  He walked with a limp and was having a hard time going up the stairs, but on Monday he started acting "sick".  He laid in one spot and wasn't eating that well.  Over the next couple of days it was clear that he was dying.  His lymph nodes were swollen and he was no longer able stand, eat or drink.  I prayed that God would let him die at home.  We didn't want to have to make the decision to have him put to sleep.  We couldn't let him suffer.  He has been a part of our family for 13 years. He has loved us unconditionally, he was our protector, and best friend.  We could not let him go on like this. The vet told us that Buddy had an aggressive form of cancer. 

This morning I found myself getting two treats out, like I always do in the morning.  Scooby is confused by his partner in crime being gone.  He keeps going to the spot where Buddy was last laying.  It is so sad.
  


Every morning he would peek his head into the laundry room and would wait and watch me dig into the treat bag for his morning treat.  I am going to miss seeing this adorable face when I go to the treat bag.


Pets are truly a part of the family and we love them as such.  I have had so many kind words posted on my Facebook page and I wanted to share a poem that my friend had posted.  RIP Buddy..We loved you with our whole hearts!  You were the best and we will miss you so much!




The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak 
And pain should keep me from my sleep, 
Then will you do what must be done, 
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won. 
You will be sad I understand, 
But don't let grief then stay your hand, 
For on this day, more than the rest, 
Your love and friendship must stand the test. 
We have had so many happy years, 
You wouldn't want me to suffer so. 
When the time comes, please, let me go. 
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend, 
Only, stay with me till the end 
And hold me firm and speak to me 
Until my eyes no longer see. 
I know in time you will agree 
It is a kindness you do to me. 
Although my tail its last has waved, 
From pain and suffering I have been saved. 
Don't grieve that it must be you 
Who has to decide this thing to do; 
We've been so close -- we two -- these years, 
Don't let your heart hold any tears. 

-- Unknown 

14 comments:

  1. My heart just breaks for you, Kris. I know how hard it is. Our Vet comes to the house, and she has helped us say good-bye to three of our cats. The poem is wonderful, and says it so well. Hugs & love, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terri..that is so great that your vet comes to your house!

      Delete
  2. Such a sad sad time, and my heart goes out to you. The loss of a pet, especially one you have had as a family member for 13 years is extremely hard. But you do have good, sweet memories as you shared this morning. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda..yes, we have so many great memories to hold on to:-)

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry. We lost our little dog when she was 12 years old. It was so hard. We'd had her since she was 9 weeks old and she was as much a part of our family as either of the children. Even now, years later, I miss her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia..I know what you mean..I think back to my childhood dog, Tessie, all the time. Missing them never really stops.

      Delete
  4. He has the sweetest face. I was thinking of your other dog and how much he would miss Buddy too. One of my sister Jackie's dogs got run over in their driveway and her remaining 4 dogs' characters have changed. Allie was like the mother that kept the others in line. A big hug for you all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Brenda..That is so sad that your sister's dog got run over. I can see how the remaining dogs would be effected by that. Scooby has been acting different ever since Buddy died.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry. It was so hard when we had to do that with our Maggie who was 14. The kids grew up with her and we loved her. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl..it really is hard on the kids. Lindsay was 8 when we got Buddy and she will turning 21 tomorrow.

      Delete
  6. I was sorry to hear about your dog Buddy. I know from when I put my dog, Baby, to rest that it is very hard. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was sorry to hear about Buddy too. He seemed to be a loving part of the family. My heart goes out to you all.

    ReplyDelete