Monday, June 16, 2014

Father's Day




Walt had a wonderful Father's Day.  It was a relaxing evening of grilling and just hanging out with the kids. We had black bean veggie burgers, vegan Italian sausages, hot dogs, pasta salad, corn on the cob, broccoli and cheese rice casserole (recipe below) and some fresh watermelon.  I love days like this!   The weather was so beautiful.  We have been really lucky that we have been getting rain showers during the week and sunny skies for the weekends. The grass is so green and healthy.  I just hope it continues!  

On a sad note.  I have a funeral to attend today.  My cousin's husband passed away.  That is sad enough but my cousin (his wife) died just a few weeks ago so their daughter and son have lost 2 parents in less than a month.  I can't even imagine how they are dealing with all of this right now.  

The picture at the top of my post is from a couple of weekends ago.  We spent the afternoon at Brandenburg Park.  This is the park that my family would have big family picnics at when I was a child.  I have so many great memories of this park.  My favorite memory is of my Grandma, Dad, Uncle Pete, and Aunt Ruth fishing off of this pier. We would get there early in the morning and get our picnic site and they would set up their fishing area on the pier.  Those were good times!

Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful week ahead!

Broccoli and Cheese Rice Casserole


Ingredients:

1/2 Cup Butter
1 Tbls Chopped Onion
1.5 Cup Water
1 10oz  Frozen Broccoli
1 Can Cream of Celery Soup
1.5 Cup Minute Rice
1 8oz Cheese Whiz

Bring first 3 items to a boil.  Add broccoli.  Simmer until cooked.  Add rice, set aside for 5 minutes.  Add Cheese Whiz & soup.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.  I usually double this recipe if I am cooking for a large group.  

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a really good Fathers Day celebration. Love the recipe and I am definitely going to copy and use. Beautiful picture too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to your cousin's children. Thanks for aharing your rice recipe. I always have the black bean burger when I go to an English pub with my faamily in Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt has always been a Meat & Potato kind of guy so when he said he really liked the black bean burger I was excited. So much healthier!

      Delete
  3. I love broccoli dishes and this one sounds (and looks) delicious! What a nice Father's Day!! I would probably like the black bean veggie burger, but doubt I could even get Joe to try it! I love that you are blogging again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri..this recipe has been a long time family favorite. I hope you try it! We usually make it for holiday dinners so it's a treat when we have it in the summer. :-)

      Delete