This post would have been perfect for yesterday but I didn't have time to post it. Yesterday would have been my paternal grandma's 100th birthday. She passed away at the age of 90. She was exactly what I would consider a perfect grandma. She was the center of our family. My grandfather passed away in 1969 and my grandma found herself a widow at the age of 55. My grandparents lived in southern Illinois and we were there visiting for the week when my grandfather died unexpectedly of a massive heart attack. Even though I was only 3 years old, I remember that day like it was yesterday. After my grandfather's funeral, my grandma came home with us to Michigan where she lived with us for many years. I was so blessed to have my grandma with me every day as a child.
She was an amazing cook. I think her best recipe is her chocolate fudge. Before she passed away she showed Lindsay how to make it and from that day forward Lindsay has been making Grandma's fudge for our family parties and holidays. She worked for many years in a women's clothing store, called Three Sister's. She was very fashionable and always had the most up to date fashion trends.
She was never lost for words. If she didn't like something you did she would not hesitate to let you know. She loved fishing, going to yard sales, and making crafts. I still have many of her Christmas ornaments that she made us over the years.
Happy Birthday Grandma! I love and miss you so much!
![]() |
| Grandma with her grandchildren |
![]() |
| My mom, me and my grandma |



What wonderful memories! I lived with my grandmother too until I was grown and leaving to get married. I am thankful to have had that time like you did.
ReplyDeleteYou all were so lucky to have such a special person in your family. I remember all the wonderful things my grandmother used to make. I loved her shortbread and homemade mincemeat that I've tried to make like her. Lindsay is lucky to have a recipe, so each time she makes it you remember your grandmother.
ReplyDeleteKris, I so enjoyed this post! You were so blessed to have such a special grandma. Love that picture of you, your mom and your grandma. Thanks for sharing!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice tribute to your grandmother. I love reading these family stories from everyone.
ReplyDelete